Design and Engineering
More Than 50 Years of Experience
- Since 1955, Sterling Sintered Technologies has been a leader in the manufacture of quality powdered metal parts.
- Few companies have as much experience as SST in design, material selection and tooling for powdered metal parts.
- Our talented Powder Metal engineers have the experience and the resources necessary to assist in optimizing part design and cost efficiencies for our customers.
- Our engineers are experienced in working with customers who want to reduce costs by converting to powdered metal production from other processes like machining, stamping and forging.
Early Collaboration Can Save Time and Money
There are many factors that, if considered in the early stages of design, can yield production efficiencies, add value and reduce costs. Design considerations include:
- The relationship of the component to an entire assembly.
- The best material formulation to achieve optimum part performance.
- Design to achieve near net shapes, minimizing or eliminating the need for secondary operations.
- Design for maximum efficiency in production
- Achieve the optimum balance of tolerances and manufacturing costs.
Assets and Resources
- Customers can submit parts for review in many formats including a sample of the part, a sketch, 2D or 3D CAD formats, etc.
- CAD applications. Our Design Department can interface with many CAD platforms including 2-dimensional and 3-D solid models for effective communication between our engineers and yours.
- Full equipped in-house Tool Room with multiple CNC wire and electrode EDM, mills, lathes, jig borers, surface and ID/OD grinders.
- Complete prototype abilities. Although PM tooling often sees 80,000 psi compaction forces making prototype tooling not an option, we have the ability to make prototype parts out of the material you specify, with the production properties you need, when design testing is required.
- Online collaboration. We are equipped to get our engineers and yours looking at the same design concepts and interacting without expensive plane flights or even short car trips. All you need is an internet connection and time to work efficiently.